Old March 14th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

Default sights and biking routes for Belgium and Netherlands

AILEEN wrote in
:

Hi everyone,

For our 10 year anniversary, my husband and I are biking across Europe
beginning in the Netherlands, going through Belgium and ending in
France. I have found a lot of information for all the attractions in
Paris, but neither of us is very familiar with the other two countries

-
we did buy a Lonely Planet, but really do not wish to carry it with

us.
Given the route we have in mind so far (which is still pretty

flexible),
what things should we not pass up a chance to see along the way? Also,
we will be leaving the two kids at my mother's for the trip and of
course I want a way to reach them, preferably cheaply. I have heard

you
need a GSM-capable phone in order to make calls. This sounds
complicated. Am I better off using phone cards?

Aileen

There is a great read "Cycling the Netherlands, Belgium, and
Luxembourg" by Katherine Widing. The book is a must read before you go.
It might give you something to do on the plane!

I wouldn't bother with a phone, just another thing to carry on your bike
ride. I would use www.onesuite.com. OneSuite is a great international
phone service. I use it everywhere I bike away from home to call the
family.

Just a reminder, remember to bring plenty of spare tubes, and don't
forget your bike lights. I hope you have an excellent time, but why
wouldn't you, you will be on your bike.

Jann

"Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you stop
pedaling."
Claude Pepper