Old January 27th 12, 09:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default What’s the lure of mountain or off-road riding?

On Jan 27, 1:45*pm, Trevor wrote:
On 1/26/2012 10:53 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

I guess you aren't there to experience nature or peace and quiet.
That's typical for mouintain bikers. They are addicted to the
adrenaline rush. Hiking isn't thrilling enough for them.

*
* Can you be honest enough to say why you wish you were on your bike
* instead of hiking? I rode a bike off-road once. It was the must
* unpleasant time I have ever spent in nature. I really can't see a
* single thing about it that is attractive. I saw nothing, and felt
* rattled by the bumps.

Enjoying nature and peace and quiet are actually exactly the reason I'm
there. Otherwise I'd stay on the pavement.

I may not be your typical mountain biker, but I prefer riding over
hiking because I can go a lot further with less effort. I can see and
enjoy more of the outdoors. I often stop and take pictures. Sorry your
experience hasn't been the same.

- Trevor

That's what I thought. You are confusing quantity with quality.
Mountain bikers do travel much farther than hikers, and therefore do a
lot more damage and impact a lot more wildlife. But while you are
riding, you only THINK you are "seeing" a lot. A cursory glance is not
the same as seeing something. By the same token, five minutes walking
in nature beats an hour of driving on a "scenic highway". You can use
all of your senses. Mountain bikers miss 99% of that. When you have
sex, or dance, do you think faster is better? You can see how idiotic
that kind of thinking is. If you can get around the dance floor faster
than anyone else, or cover more distance, is that better? Do you have
a better experience? No, of course not. You are on the wrong track.