Old July 23rd 03, 03:20 AM
Gary Mc

Default Counterpunching and Recumbents

My knees began to hurt all the time instead of most of the time, so I
switched from running to biking. My wrists and shoulders hurt, my
hands were numb and I was doing damage in unmentionable places so I
went to recumbents. I was not strong enough to climb mountain roads
fast enough to stay upright so I went to trikes. After 12 days above
100 degrees, my aging circulation system insists on less heat so I
ride at dawn and dusk.

Keeping fit as one ages is counterpunching. Age strikes you in one
place, you strike back in another. Recumbents certainly enable.

I know that young guys on recumbents get tired of geezers and
near-geezers talking about what a benefit recumbents are as they age.
I can only add that I would that I wish I had started recumbent riding
a decade or more before I did.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City