Old July 23rd 03, 07:39 PM
Doug

Default Counterpunching and Recumbents

I'm no old fat guy by no stretch of the imagination - but - I would be
if I didn't keep active. I have found that settings goals for myself
has been the way to keep active. I ride a recumbent tricycle - a Trice
Micro and have completed the Seattle to Portland bicycle classic, one
day rider, twice. It's a great feeling to be able to do now, what I
thought might be an impossibility. I suppose that's the key, looking
at life and its obstacles and deciding that its possible when everyone
around you is saying otherwise.

I look at most of the bicycle community as having a similar spirit,
even the older generation riding and being active, completing a double
century in a day!

I have run into some upright riders who "look" down upon what I ride
at first glance (despite the obvious - I am quite low to the ground).
Once we ride together, they see that I'm just as able as they are in
staying with the group (18+ mph) and not appearing to work as hard as
they are. The respect shows. Going up hills, yes I'm slower, but on
the flats and downhill runs, I'm as fast, if not faster. Going down
Hwy 101 from Tillimook to Lincoln Beach in Oregon, I've ridden my
Micro at 50 mph - what a blast! Boy do I love long down hill runs!