Old May 3rd 19, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Biking shorts

On Thu, 2 May 2019 20:31:34 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 7:39:41 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/2/2019 6:16 PM, AK wrote:
I bought some Baleaf biking shorts with the expectation that it would reduce glut pain. It did not help. ?

Andy

Have someone who knows something about riding position
critique your stem and saddle positions. Nothing wrong with
good cycling shorts, which are a good thing, but they can't
cover poor setup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I will check my bike shop.

I use a wide gel seat.

Maybe I need a more narrow one?

Andy

My experience has been that soft seats, while initially comfortable
get very uncomfortable after an hour or so. While it is a personal
thing I prefer a firm seat and padded shorts.

Also, do not neglect the friction between the shorts and your skin.
Use a lubricant if necessary. The shorts should fit really tight for
that reason - so the friction is between the shorts and the seat, not
between the shorts and your butt.

Regarding seats. Some shops have a bunch of loaner seats that you can
borrow to try... other folks have a bunch of seats in the garage that
they bought and found that they didn't fit :-(
--
cheers,

John B.