Old May 29th 04, 11:09 PM
Roger Zoul

Default A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

Dan Daniel wrote:
:: On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:35:10 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::: Dan Daniel wrote:
::::: On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:26:08 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
::::: wrote:
::
::::::
:::::
::::: I'd get the wheel rebuilt first. Spokes shouldn't break in the
::::: first place.
:::
::: How/where does one do that and what does it entail?
:::
::
:: If you want to learn more than most people ever need to know about
:: wheel building, head over to rec.bicycles.tech and look through the
:: archives

Will do...thanks.

::
:: Even without looking over posts, I'd suggest that you go to that
:: group
:: and post a description of your wheel- hub, rim, spokes, age, where it
:: came from- and describe what has been happening to the spokes and
:: what
:: they recommend.

I just did exactly that...I hope I gave enough info, though....

::
:: Anyway, to get a wheel rebuilt, first you need to find someone who
:: knows what they are doing! The best bet is to have a new set of
:: spokes
:: put in- $20 or so- and have them build it up right. There's a
:: definite process to get solid results, and when someone has the
:: knowledge and
:: the skill, you will get a wheel that will last years or decades
:: without any breaks.
::
:: Or do it yourself!

A thought that I'm toying with....

::
:: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Cool...

::
::: The owner of the LBS (another lady, not the hot lady) told me that
::: she thinks I ride uphill in too high a gear, putting a lot of
::: stress on the rear wheel. I do generally tend to shift down as I
::: go up a hill, but I also follow the cadence, trying to keep it at
::: or above 60.
:::
::: Is she feeding me hooey?
:::
:::::
::
:: Well, to give her the benefit of the doubt, I don't know what kind of
:: wheel you have. Maybe you have one that is at the limit of its design
:: because of your weight, and that your hill technique is pushing it
:: beyond its design limit.
::
:: Yeah, right....... How was that for diplomacy? Look, if it is a
:: 'normal' wheel in any way shape or form, she is full of it. A
:: well-built bicycle wheel will not have spokes break from pedalling
:: forces per se. Racers can generate much more force than you, I
:: imagine, and they don't have spokes breaking on them every time they
:: crunch up a hill. Head on over to r.b.tech and ask about her comment.

Thanks...I did list her comment in my post....I'd love to know if she'll
bulling me. Pointing at my weight is certainly an easy thing to do, and I
even beat her to it Still, the old lady does *seem* to have a lot of
experience with bicycles, but as we all know that is no guarantee of sound
technical knowledge....