Old May 30th 04, 12:07 AM
Rick Onanian

Default A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:35:10 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:
The owner of the LBS (another lady, not the hot lady) told me that she
thinks I ride uphill in too high a gear, putting a lot of stress on the rear
wheel. I do generally tend to shift down as I go up a hill, but I also
follow the cadence, trying to keep it at or above 60.

The force is the same whether you're in a low gear with a high
cadence or a high gear with a low cadence. If you're climbing the
hill in a high gear with high cadence, then you're one powerful
*******.

The force everywhere between the tire's tread and the hub is exactly
whatever force is required to get your ass up that hill at your
speed. Changing gears cannot effect it, except if by changing gears
you are able to go faster.

Is she feeding me hooey?

100% hooey.
--