Old July 28th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

Default New Study... bicycles offer little benefit to the environment.

"Richard B" wrote in message
. 3.50...
Research by UPenn professor Karl Ulrich came to the conclusion that
bicycles offer little benefit to the environment.

Why you may ask...

Because Cyclists live longer and therefore are more of a drain on energy
and resources!

You can't win with this crowd.
Oh well I guess we'll have to outlive them...

Your post reminds me of some of the old smoking arguments.
Governments argued that they should be compensated because of the cost of
taking care of sick smokers.
Tobacco companies argued that no compensation was appropriate because, since
smokers died sooner, they collected overall less in government benefits over
their lifetimes.

As I work on retirement planning -- retirement not being imminent, but
planning being necessary -- it's pretty clear that one of the big factors in
how much money I need to save up in retirement is how long I should plan on
living after retirement.