Old April 7th 20, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On 07-04-20 01:17, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Andy

If you still ride on unpaved roads or trails some of the time, I would
suggest considering Schwalbe "Smart Sam" tires. On a paved road they run
mainly on a closely spaced series of flat "grids" in the middle, and
don't feel like tractor tires. They do fine on dirt roads, but probably
aren't good enough for tricky downhill trails. I've been using them for
15 years or more.

The website of a local parts supplier now lists only the type with a
wire bead (vs. "folding tires"). Too bad -- I find the ones with a wire
bead to be much more difficult to mount or remove from the rim, and
prefer the folding ones.

Ned