Old September 7th 17, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ivan Shmakov

Default AG: Do as I say, not as I do

John B writes:
On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 11:40:44 +0000, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

[...]

I typically take two 1.5 liter bottles of mineral water (a specific
local brand) for a 5 to 9 hours ride. This summer, I had to buy one
more along the way once, but with about 80 km covered (or so is my
estimate), that was probably my lengthiest trip so far.

My usual "Sunday Ride" will be between 50 and 70 km and I often weigh
myself before and after riding and have assumed that a 1 - 2% loss in
weight is normal for me. Whether it is, in fact, I can't comment but
on the occasional days when it is more then, say 2%, I feel more
tired then on days when it is less.

I often take 500 g of rye bread with me, too; especially when I
have to skip breakfast so that I can take a morning train to
some remote location, from where I can meander my way back home.
I suppose that would mean no noticeable weight loss for me.

I saw no need to cool my drinks, even though the temperature here in
summer does reach 80-100 F. (One trip this summer, the water felt
almost hot. Never thought of it as an issue.)

It isn't an issue but it does seem much nicer to be drinking
something cold in warm weather and something warm in cold weather.
Although I've seen little cold weather in the past 40 years :-)

There was a talk on the annual students and young scientists
conference this April that went like this: "we've compared the
snow cover data for the past decade with this year [...] hence,
it will snow on 1st of May."

The talk was awarded first place for the section, IIRC.

It did.

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. Betrayal/Forgiveness -- Apocalyptica 230E 334A