Old November 12th 19, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Patent updates

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 09:32:59 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, 11 November 2019 12:13:51 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/11/2019 5:23 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 23:42:10 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 12:57:07 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But isn't it amazing what people will put up with for
aesthetics?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I personally am not familiar with the process. But I believe thousands or millions of people dye their hair. Purely for aesthetics. I see commercials on TV all the time. I assume they re-dye their hair every week or two or month or so. I don't know how often dye is required. But I know its not a one time thing. Old people hair naturally returns to its original gray, white, silver color. Compared to dying your hair, I'm guessing fishing internal cables through a bike frame once or twice a decade is fairly minor and immaterial.

To further discuss my statement above: It's actually likely that most
buyers of high-end bikes don't ever think about the downsides of
internal cables. I suspect that most of them will never ride the bikes
enough to need cable replacement. Of those that do, most will drop their
bikes at the LBS and pay whatever it costs, so they won't deal with any
of the possible frustrations. So their thinking will be limited to a
subliminal "Hey, that's trendy; I want it."

But more generally, people will go through a LOT of inconvenience for
aesthetics. One word: tattoos.

More words: Women's shoes. Manicured lawns. Washing one's car every
Saturday. Bike jerseys that match the bike color. Etc.

Good Lord! You go to the Beauty Salon to get your hair dyed. Which
also gives you a chance to get up to date with all the current gossip
:-)

The book I'm reading, _Palaces for the People_, would praise beauty
salons as a place of community, where frequent meetings lead to personal
interaction, friendships and relationships. The author says we need more
places like that. I can see his point.

_Jayber Crow_ by Wendell Barry is a sweet novel illustrating the same
thing, centered in a small town barber shop.

--
- Frank Krygowski

How about those who have green lawns in a desert? What a waste of the most precious commodity a desert has = water.

Cheers

Somewhere I visited, perhaps Arizona, or somewhere like that, had
outlawed lawn grass - too much water - and the Locals had replaced the
grass with "crushed rock".... painted green :-)
--
cheers,

John B.