Old April 26th 18, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default washer with a little hook in rear fork tracks

They look mostly the same to me. Partly flat
axle hole, sometimes with a protruding part
as well.

So the answer to my original post would/could
be, "the reason for the little hook is to hook
into the frame's dropout track in order to
further hinder the washer from rotating/falling
out, should the dome/axle nut come loose.
However to this end the hook is a second-rate
feature because the most important thing is to
have a flattened axle and no-turn washer, with
or without a hook, but always with a flattened
axle hole"?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573