Old January 13th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

Default Carrying Luggage on a Long Distance Ride (36)

napalm: thanks for the saddle advice. I've got the '07 KH Fusion
(stock) saddle that came with my '07 KH 24. It is wonderful with the
Thompson seatpost I have but you're right I need to experiment with
carrying/riding with a more substantial pack to see if "there is enough
saddle there." I also will definitely be aiming at carrying one of the
larger camel back packs I have the "Hawg" right now which I think is
plenty big for my trip logistics. I also won't be strapping anything to
my frame although BoojiBoy's mentioning of strapping a spare tube to the
hub center sounds promising and I might try that.

joemarshall: I'm definitely going to just have a single pair of clothes
for 3 days at a time, probably will be cold camping (i.e. no fire except
one I may build out of what I can find and a simple fire-starter). My
route choice is largely backcountry but as I mentioned earlier there are
several significant road crossings / towns that I'll be passing through
where I can either re-supply food items myself or (more likely) meet my
wife to resupply food, swap out those stinky clothes and other
things. The route I'm planning should have ample access to water
throughout most of the route though there are areas were their will be
longer stretches that I need to prepare for i.e. carry an extra water
bladder. And I'll definitely carry some lightweight parachute cord,
good for everything including setting up my simple bivoac and using to
hang my food items in a tree to keep away from animals (learned that
from Boy Scouts).

I'm sorry if I'm a bit sketchy on my route details as I don't want
anybody to do this route first! Suffice it to say it will be hugely
epic and a trip of a life time; the logistics are starting to fall
together I just need to finish up my PhD so I can train/plan some more
and recon parts of the route....

Thanks for all the wonderful advice all!

--
MuniSano