Old December 5th 16, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Steel Frames and Tire Wear

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 1:00:43 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 05/12/2016 2:19 PM, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 1:10:21 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
On 05/12/2016 12:54 PM, wrote:
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 10:51:20 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On my carbon fiber frames the tires would wear flat on the road surfaces. But on the steel frames they appear to wear round. Would you suppose because the steel frames give you more confidence in cornering so that the tires are banked over a good deal of the time going through turns?

For the last 25 years or so all professional bike riders have been using carbon bikes. Steel has not been used since the 1980s I think. All the pros go 50 mph down the mountains cornering through the switchbacks. If you go watch a local criterium in your town you will see all the riders using carbon bikes. Maybe one aluminum too. Never any steel bikes, ever. How can they get around all the turns in a criterium race if their bikes corner so poorly?

You are just making up, imagining nonsense.

Yeah, I sort of missed that part. I thought he was saying it was
something to do with cornering that made the tire wear flat not that the
CF bikes were so poor in cornering that people didn't use them the same.
This bike corners better than any bike I've had including the steel
one I just sold.

My "guess" would be the wheels and tire choices have more to do with how
a bike corners than what the frame material is.

? maybe.....take another look at the geometry's geometry

Well yeah, but if you have a different geometry, different wheels and
different tires and think the cornering is different because of the
frame material...

My C40 and my Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra have almost identical geometry. So again that sounds good but doesn't seem to be the case.