On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 12:17:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 11:55:46 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 2:26:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 11:16:36 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:39:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 11:36:31 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:18:05 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 25/8/19 5:18 am, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have never used "carbon paste" for anything and can't imagine why.

Imagine harder.

--
JS

Why? I have had CF frames for a long time. I've never even SEEN "carbon paste" let alone used it for anything.

Really? Google it, it has been around for ages.

Lou

Toothpaste has been around for ages as well and I sure as hell ain't putting it on my bike.

From someone who has a slipping seat post and an awful track record in breaking things I would expect a smarter reply.

Lou

So you don't own any of this stuff yourself but you know all about it?

Tom I own bike stuff you only can dream of. That aside it isn't rocket science even Jay knows about it and he is a laywer. When CF seatposts came around for reason you can argue about you got warned not to use grease to prevent seizing and/or squeeking and you get warned not to overtighten the clamp. With the limited torque sometimes you got a slipping and squeeking CF seatpost. The use of carbon paste took care of that. With CF seatposts we went through a learning curve and most of the CF seatpost sold today benefited from that learning curve and have quite a safety margin. The main advantages of modern CF seatpost isn't weight but comfort and aero.

Lou

lou, I don't dream of bikes or parts. If I want them I buy them. You don't have anything I want. Properly made seat posts don's slip in properly made seat tubes. I just installed a non-Colnago 27.2 mm seat post in the same place and marked it and it hasn't moved the tiniest amount. And though it is 50 mm longer it is lighter. That Colnago seatpost used to be in a Master so I assume that over the years it has been worn down. (the fact why you don't put an abrasive on something that may be moved over time) Since I threw it in the trash after two rides on the replacement I don't have it here to measure. But it appeared to be machined down from a larger size.

Seatpost and seat tube should have a snug fit without any clamp force applied otherwise the clamping method is a flawed design. If a seatpost fall down into the seat tube with no clamp force is applied you will have a very limited clamping area when you torque the clamp. Most seatpost seat tube combinations are like that. Even when clamped your seatpost will rock forward and backward tiny amounts resulting in creaks and moving the seatpost down slowly. Carbon past will help especially in case of CF seatpost were the max torque is limited. I agree with you that if the seat post and the seattube have the proper fit clamping is much more secure. Most of the times this isn't the case.

Lou
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home