Old August 27th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Chinese Carbon Wheelset

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 00:34:59 UTC-4, James wrote:
On 27/8/19 12:33 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/26/2019 4:19 PM, AMuzi wrote:

You often deride 'fashion', not recognizing that your own fashion is a
decided subset of cycling overall.

Well, in a sense, you're right: I certainly don't recognize my bike
equipment choices as "fashion." A '72 steel frame bike with racks and
bags and dyno lighting? An old touring bike with big bags front and
back? A folding bike? An ancient tandem? My club members joke about how
unfashionable I am!

"Steel is real" is a fashion statement. Old steel road bikes are a
"thing". Look at l'Eroica, for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Eroica

There are similar events in other countries as well. You would fit
right in!

My choices are based on what I find works best for me. Pragmatism and
utility are pretty much the opposite of fashion.

Strangely enough, I base my choices on what I find works best for me,
and my choices are not the same as yours, or Jay's, or Duane's, or
Joerg's, or ...

--
JS

Even the Eroica has problems with certain components. For example they will NOT give you a certificate if you participate with a bicycle that has Shimano Dura Ace AX, 600 AX or even Adamas AX. That's because each of those groups has AERO brake levers which are a real no no for meeting Eroica requirements never mind the fact that they were made well within the cut-off date for mandated Eroica permissible components. According to the Eroica people I corresponded with "No aero brake levers are allowed".

I have a couple of bicycles that have 9-speed Campagnolo Mirage Ergo levers and rear derailleur on them. One of those bicycles is my paved-road touring bicycle. It's really nice to be able to shift anytime I want whilst riding a loaded touring bicycle up a hill in gusty-wind conditions. I find I shift more often with those Ergo levers and thus save a lot of energy over the course of the day.

The thing is that different people have different needs, wants, or even preferences.

Cheers