Old May 10th 21, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Power Meters?

On 5/10/2021 9:44 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 09:49:22 +0700, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 08 May 2021 19:09:15 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 14:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich wrote:

I prefer my Casio Solar that is totally electronic, recharges
from sunlight or even tabletop lamps and resets to accurate
time every time a GPS satellite passes overhead.

Nope. The Casio Solar Atomic G-Shock watches and others use WWVB (in
North America) at 60 KHz and not GPS at about 1.5 GHz.

"How Radio Controlled Casio Watches sync with Atomic Clock"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMb_8KocAA

Do people still wear watches? I just look at my cell phone :-)

When politely asking you what time it is, which stylish beach lady wants to
see some boring cell phone, possibly scraped, varnish flaking off?

You fail to grasp the main socially beneficial functions of wearing a watch:
Those who cannot judge you from your bike parts can glimpse what personal
image you want your watch to project to your fellow citizen (... excuse the
pun). And in case you're robbed of your authentic Swiss chronograph, at
least you do not lose a lot of personal and business data.
Yep. Smart watches are currently the rage:
https://www.google.com/search?q=smar****ch&hl=en&tbm=isch
I don't have one (yet) but I've been playing with those owned by
friends. One nice feature is that the Bluetooth connection to the
smartphone can be used to initiate or answer phone calls. Some have
various medical recorders (pulse oximeter, temperature, afib
detection, ECG, etc):
https://www.apple.com/healthcare/apple-watch/
Of course, they are now wearable cycling computahs:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/g20023538/9-great-smart-watches-for-cyclists/
or radiation detectors:
https://www.mtmwatch.com/collections/special-ops/rad/

Do I really want to witness my achy breaky heart issue nerve-wrecking alarms
right before I pass away? And as I happen to like Soviet-era watch dial
design: Wearing a radiation detector next to it would take some joy out of
mariage bargains from Ukraine!

The radioactive paint on the dials of my Seiko has long ago worn off.

Actual radium was dropped a very long time ago (mid-1950s).
It doesn't 'wear off' under your crystal. With a half life
of a few thousand years it's pretty dependable as most
products go.

The 'modern' chemicals only glow for 8~12 years. Gas glow
only lasts until the battery is out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/