Old May 10th 21, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Power Meters?

On 5/10/2021 12:56 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2021 07:02:47 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Op maandag 10 mei 2021 om 06:00:33 UTC+2 schreef :
On Sun, 09 May 2021 17:56:31 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

So, what will it take to convince you to switch to the dark side and
get a smartphone? My guess(tm) some feature that you can't live
without. Built in flashlight, death ray, or bicycle headlight? Movie
projector? Simulation of your favorite historical personality using
AI (artificial intelligence)? Star Trek tricorder that does medical
diagnostics and possibly treatment? Pocket x-ray spectrometer for ore
and metallurgical analysis? Voice FM modulation lie detector? The
list never ends. Eventually, you will find some feature in smartphone
that will get your attention and inspire you to buy one. Resistance
is futile. You will be assimilated.

That is an interesting question. For most people it is social media.
For me? Hmmm..for me it is most of the time just the the phone and
camera. For work it calendar, Email, unit conversion app, flashlight,
calculator and the ability to do a google search. That is about it.

Lou

Thanks for the info. From what I've seen from friends, the smartphone
is mostly use for incessant talking, text messaging, email, address
book, and some web browsing. However, the most commonly used feature
is speech to text, because even those who know how to type properly
usually find poking at the screen to be a pain. There's plenty of
room for improvement, but speech to text and speech command have made
the smartphone usable by the GUM (great unwashed masses).

I have an app usage tracker installed, that records how many minutes
each app is being used. For that last month or so, it's been:
Solitaire (game), My Trails (mapping), HP-41c (calculator), AN98
(microscope app), Mobile Topographer.
In terms of the number of uses per day, it's been:
Messaging (SMS), K-9 Mail (email), Camera, Settings, Google
Authenticator (2FA), Google Calendar, Address book, MS Authenticator
(2FA).

For hiking and cycling, I use My Trails or OpenCycleMap.org. For
travel, Google Maps.

For Andrew, I don't think any of these will be compelling
applications. I would not be surprised if the electronic bicycle
gadgets of the future can only be used and programmed with a computer
or smartphone. Maybe that will get his attention.

I'm happy that you're happy. Glad you have a walk-around
telephone.

When and if my fixed gear bicycle requires a telephone to
ride, death will hold no horror. YMMV

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/