Old April 13th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
dgk

Default Iraq responsibility was promoting "smart growth"

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:56:11 -0500,
(Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:14:56 -0500,

(Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

Another one believing in the fantasy of Iraq being filled with a bunch
of reasonable groups with reasonable aims who are only engaging in
violence because of the bad old United States.

Most folks around the world want only two things, a place to live and
a job. Islam, for the most part, is a peaceful religion. Extremists
exist in all types of religions and exploit them for their own
agendas. Remove the US occupation and the extremists will be on the
outs.

Fantasy. Utter fantasy. Remove the US occupation and you still have left
every grudge, every grievance, every complaint that one Iraqi group
has against another, not to mention the complaints they have with
Iraq's neighbors (and Iraq's neighbors likely ambitions in Iraq). The
idea that Iraq is filled with reasonable people turned to radicalism
by the US occupation is simply a fairy tale.

Look at Iran. Before we invaded Iraq, the mullahs were clinging to
power and there were large pro-western demonstrations. As soon as we
invaded, the mullahs were firmly back in power.

Before we invaded Iraq, the mullahs in Iran had been in power for many
years, and they still remain so. They were never in any danger of
being ousted.

I repeat Matthew, what was the Iraq invasion all about? Come on, you
know.

And you are wrong about Iran. The mullahs were losing their grip on
power. Our invasion of Iraq ended that, for the short term.