Old January 1st 12, 12:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default bike paths

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 01 Jan 2012 10:11:05 +1100
Rob wrote:
On 1/01/2012 9:31 AM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Or are there high speed Lycra Louts on paths in Sydney and I just
don't see 'em? perhaps because I'm not commuting to the city? (And
when I do I don't take paths I take roads)

The trainers usually travel in groups on the more open roads in outer
Sydney (Mascot area)

Not sure if the bods he was whinging about were training or just
what Bike Snob calls "Cat 6 racers".

Was in Sydney the other day and there were not as many courier bikes
about, heaps of commuters riding across the swing bridge at darling
harbour.

I haven't regularly commuted into the city for about 4 years, I
understand the bike population has rocketed. Certainly more bikes the
couple of times I have been in on a weekday.

Most faster than I am but that's always been the way. I convince
myself that they've only done a couple of k and I've done 15 by the
time I get there....

I rather like the Bourke St path in Alexandria. I can take the Cooks
River path to Airport Drive, then along the canal, a shortish ride
along reasonably quiet streets, then onto the Bourke St Copenhagen
lane, then a right turn and I'm at the place I bought the washing
machine from. A bit more along the separated lane and it's an easy
jaunt to some other places I'm interested in.

Now if they'd only fix the stupidity at the Ricketty St bridge it
would be perfect.

(I sometimes wonder if, as the number of residents in the area
increases, a shallow draught ferry service up the canal would be
viable... Along the Cooks River, then a shuttle to the airport
maybe.)

Zebee