Old December 4th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default News from down under on helmet laws, passing laws and fightingbetween so called advocacy groups.

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:51:08 PM UTC, James wrote:
On 04/12/13 10:09, sms wrote:

On 12/3/2013 1:49 PM, James wrote:

http://helmetfreedom.org/1972/a-new-direction/

I wish that these organizations would realize that starting off with

"the big lie" does nothing for their position. In fact it weakens their

position.

I agree.

The big lie: "...in particular it reduces cyclist numbers..." has been

disproven so many times that they should be embarrassed to repeat it.

I disagree. Statistics show marked drop in mode share when MHLs were

introduced. Recent studies show the MHL is still a key issue to

dissuade people from riding.

Page 4 of:

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/53329/1/Focus_group_paper_on_barriers_and_facilitators_to_ PBSS_use_Revision_2_29.06.12_V3.pdf

Adults can decide the level or risk that they are willing to accept.

I agree.

There is no upside in promulgating the lies that helmet legislation

and/or promotion reduces cycling numbers or that helmets are ineffective

at reducing the severity of head injuries in head-impact crashes.

No, the big lies is that everyone *must* wear a helmet because riding a

bicycle is so dangerous.

--

JS

Whoever is right in this, those cyclists were offered an opportunity and grasped it with both hands to go put a view to the Commission that they clearly believe found an echo in recommendations that stand a chance of being passed into law. That's a first class result already. Congratulations to them, and all the other cyclists who made submissions.

Andre Jute