Old November 30th 07, 10:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Cremasco

Default Simple bikes for local transport

Graeme Dods wrote:
On Nov 28, 7:22 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
I did have a steep hill which was on my route in, but I detoured around it
on the way home. So steep became long.

There's a steep hill in Perth! Where? Admittedly there are probably
huge bits of Perth I've not seen, but I've not come across anything
which I'd go out of my way to avoid on a single speed. My single speed
days were when I was younger and fitter but Edinburgh is rather well
known for being built on a bunch of hills.

Try Toowoomba. I've got a single speed, which used to be great for
commuting the 20 kms to work on the flatlands of Inglewood, but killed
me when I tried even a sedate cycle around the 'burbs here. Long live
multi-geared bikes.