Old September 8th 17, 08:59 PM posted to gnu.emacs.help,rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default program to compute gears, with table

In rec.bicycles.tech Joerg wrote:
:On 2017-09-08 10:52, Emanuel Berg wrote:
: Skip Montanaro wrote:
:
: * Why the 1.0 divisor when computing gear?
:
: As explained, otherwise it'll be integer
: division. But I think that qualifies as a hack
: (not an ugly hack tho) so there is no shame in
: spotting it an "error"
:
: * You can skip the radius and use wheel
: (diameter) directly in computing
: the circumference.
:
: Right!
:
: * It never occurred to me to do this in Lisp.
: I always just use an online calculator, like:
:
: http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=D...&SL=2.6&UN=KMH
:
: Let's agree there is no need to do it in Lisp.
: Only a desire
:

:Why make things complicated? I do such stuff with spreadsheets. That's
:what they were invented for. Part of every office software including
:free ones.

I rewrote his code in common lisp in less time than it takes excel to
start.

--
sig 106