Old September 11th 17, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

James wrote:
On 09/09/17 18:24, Sepp Ruf wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:
Many years ago a fairly quantitative report on the performance of
bicycle lighting dynamos was published on the Web. The link is
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html

Most of the brands named are long gone. Is there a more modern
report of similar quality to be found? I've looked and found nothing
remotely quantitative, just a lot of exuberant descriptions. There
seem to be a considerable number of new (mostly hub) dynamos, hopefully
somebody has measured what they can do.

As the more recent tests were mostly conducted "by SON's Andreas Oehler or
one of his buddies," they have not met r.b.t's stringent anti-corruption
criteria:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-hub-drag-lab-testing/

My SP PV8 hub dynamo has been in service for a few years now. I guess
that means it's done near 30,000km already, with no issues to report.

Good to hear, good for you!

How many indoor/outdoor temperature cycles at 100% humidity, how much frost,
road salt, Joerg-ific Wisconsin winters has it been exposed to?

Characteristics very similar to a SON, but without the price tag,

.... and without the virtue-signaling at taxpayer's (and their daughters')
expense, I shall add.

5 year warranty, too? Admittedly, this has lost much appeal since SON
updated the construction and the entire hub needs to be sent for service.