Old March 12th 05, 12:48 AM
Arthur Harris

"Leonard & Peggy Brown" wrote:

Ahhhh, errrrrr....... for some reason I seem to weight about 80 pounds
more
than I did when I had my last bicycle.

I got a pretty nice puguet (or some other French spelling) bike at the
flea
market and have been riding about a half hour every day now for the last
month.

My question is about tire pressure. My tires say their max pressure is at
90 pounds and that is what I kept my last bike at.

With the extra 80 ugly pounds I am hauling around now do I still inflate
the
tires that much or do I make some allowance for weight?

Generally, more weight requires more pressure. But it also depends on tire
width. What else does it say on the sidewall? If these are 27 x 1-1/4 or 700
x 32 tires, 90 psi would be about the max I'd use. See:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

and

http://www.precisiontandems.com/phot.../tirechart.jpg

Art Harris