Old January 4th 17, 07:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 02:47:50 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

John B. wrote:
:On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 17:04:40 -0800, Joerg
:wrote:

:Gentlemen,
:
:Is there something stronger than the usual rubber cement in the patch
:kits? Ideally something that won't dry out so fast or where multiple
:cheap small tubes are available.
:
:The reason is that I sometimes have larger holes from side wall
:blow-outs. Not inch-long gashes but one or two tenths of an inch long.
:The tubes I use are super thick and, therefore, expensive. $15-20 each
:and that's not something to be thrown out lightly. Instead of the li'l
:REMA patches I need to use thicker rubber from an older sacrified tube
:but this has to be vulcanized/cemented really well.

:My LBS usually has small sealed tubes of glue. When I see them I buy
:four or five and when I open a sealed tube, in the kit on the bike, I
:replace it with another sealed one as find the glue has dried up is
:not quite so much of a catastrophe at home :-)

:Or you might try contact cement what I suspect is what is in the usual
:tire patching kit.

:By the way, "vulcanizing" implies the use of heat, and sulphur, and I

Vulcanizing may have the connotation of involving heat, but it's a chemical
reaction, which results in the sulphur in the rubber becoming
crosslinked.

It is a chemical reaction that occurs very slowly and incompletely
without heat. Try mixing raw latex with powdered sulphur if you don't
believe it.

--
cheers,

John B.