Old October 26th 03, 01:05 AM
Pete Biggs

Default 27"x 1 1/4" tyres

nicoll wrote:
I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have
are Michelin and from the memory they were called international or
continental. The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the
tread pattern was continuous lines which went round the circumference
of the tyre and not zig zags.

Don't think I know that model, sorry.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?

Unfortunately not. Very few models are still being made, it's mainly a
question of finding what old stock dealers and shops have left.

What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend
rides (no panniers)?

I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of rides
but I'm not sure if it's still avaialble. Most of the ones from the
suppliers mentioned below would probably do.
Michelin World Tour gets recommended sometimes but I've never been too
impressed with it myself. The casing or rubber isn't very tough yet it's
not light or fast either - best of no worlds, IMO. It is cheap, though,
and might be ok for your rides.
Schwalbe Marathon has a v good reputation.

Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

27" tyres:
local bike shop
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm (£5 postage on sub £50 orders)
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/wheels.htm
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/ (£10 min order for free post)

Tubes:
http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp (free post)
www.ebay.co.uk
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

note. 700c tubes will fit 27" tyres (though 700c tyres will not fit 27"
rims).

~PB