Old October 26th 03, 01:19 AM
Dave Kahn

Default 27"x 1 1/4" tyres

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:21:14 +0000 (UTC), "nicoll"
wrote:

I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are
Michelin and from the memory they were called international or continental.

You may be confusing makes. Continental is also a tyre manufacturer.
I'm not aware of a Michelin Continental or a Michelin International.
That's not to say they don't exist of course.

The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread pattern was
continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and not zig
zags.

For riding on the road, even when it's wet, tread pattern is not
important. Generally the less of it the better.

Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?

I'm not sure about that either. It's easier to find lists of tyres by
make and model and then check to see what sizes each is available in.

What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no
panniers)?

Continental Top Touring, Continental Ultra Gatorskin, and Michelin
World Tour are all well regarded and all available in 27 X 1 1/4. This
size is also sometimes referred to under a different standard as
32-630. They are the same thing.

Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

There are a number of places. www.wiggle.co.uk might be a good one to
start at.

--
Dave...