Old August 22nd 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Bus driver pushing around bicycles

On Monday, August 22, 2011 6:07:38 AM UTC-4, Dennes De Mennes wrote:
In article 50f76772-4339-443d-a4a5-
,
says...

?If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away

from his desires.?

you can diminish desires but the mechanism remains the same, so you've
just lowered the magnitude of the overall effect... new desires will
keep popping up, then what... change the mechanism of dealing with any
desire and then the desire will come but it won't have the same effect
as before. it's like that giving a man fish vs teaching him to fish...

Not sure what you mean. I'm not participant of Gandhi's extreme frugality. I do admire him and borrow from his wisdom, but otherwise his model is impractical. Walking with a cane is extreme suffering in hot weather.

I wonder why he overlooked the bicycle as a vehicle of liberation. A man with a bicycle and bread is free from many temptations, particularly the car. Now India is joining the club of consumption and these are extremely important issues.

A Wise Man rides a bike.