Old March 5th 05, 12:19 AM
Tom Sherman

Freewheeling wrote:

I have never seen any farm work that required performing the same motion
20,000 times per day.

This is getting silly. If there's a job that's this repetitive there's no
reason a machine couldn't do it. The only reason it is not done by a
machine is that workers can be found who will work for at least the same
cost as a machine, or less. And if a machine were installed to replace
them, they'd be out of work.

Which is, of course, happening all the time as sophisticated machines become
less expensive to produce. All I'm saying is that if this is the trend
(which it is) we probably ought to give a little consideration to who owns
the machines, and if possible expand such ownership to include those who may
be put out of work.

Otherwise, we're going to have quite a fine mess!...

NO, NO, NO! Labor must be smashed, people must be brought to obedience
by having their very existence depend on the largess of the rich and
powerful. NOTHING LESS WILL DO!

If you can not see that returning to a feudal society, with power based
on inherited class status is the goal of the rich and powerful, then you
are so naive that future discussion is pointless.

You of all people should be aware that this is how the rich and powerful
(with a few honorable exceptions) have always behaved. Of course,
stating that publicly would limit the employment opportunities in your
field significantly – it does not do to oppose the state religion.

--
Tom Sherman - ****ing Contest Hell