Old May 10th 21, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Power Meters?

On Sun, 09 May 2021 17:56:31 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/9/2021 3:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 09:49:22 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2021 19:09:15 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sat, 8 May 2021 14:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

I prefer my Casio Solar that is totally electronic, recharges
from sunlight or even tabletop lamps and resets to accurate
time every time a GPS satellite passes overhead.

Nope. The Casio Solar Atomic G-Shock watches and others use WWVB (in
North America) at 60 KHz and not GPS at about 1.5 GHz.

"How Radio Controlled Casio Watches sync with Atomic Clock"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMb_8KocAA

Do people still wear watches? I just look at my cell phone :-)

Yep. Smart watches are currently the rage:
https://www.google.com/search?q=smar****ch&hl=en&tbm=isch
I don't have one (yet) but I've been playing with those owned by
friends. One nice feature is that the Bluetooth connection to the
smartphone can be used to initiate or answer phone calls. Some have
various medical recorders (pulse oximeter, temperature, afib
detection, ECG, etc):
https://www.apple.com/healthcare/apple-watch/
Of course, they are now wearable cycling computahs:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/g20023538/9-great-smart-watches-for-cyclists/
or radiation detectors:
https://www.mtmwatch.com/collections/special-ops/rad/

What's a "cell phone"? You need a smartphone so you too can practice
distracted driving, acting rude, poking the screen, and have it run
your life. Soon, everyone will have a smartphone. Oh wait... they
already do.

*ahem*
everyone??

Yep, everyone. At this time, there are 298 million smartphone users
in the USA:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/201182/forecast-of-smartphone-users-in-the-us/
Out of a US population of 331 million, that's 90% penetration at all
ages and income levels. Even the local homeless have smart phones. It
may never actually hit 100%, but even at 90%, it qualifies for "almost
everyone".

So, what will it take to convince you to switch to the dark side and
get a smartphone? My guess(tm) some feature that you can't live
without. Built in flashlight, death ray, or bicycle headlight? Movie
projector? Simulation of your favorite historical personality using
AI (artificial intelligence)? Star Trek tricorder that does medical
diagnostics and possibly treatment? Pocket x-ray spectrometer for ore
and metallurgical analysis? Voice FM modulation lie detector? The
list never ends. Eventually, you will find some feature in smartphone
that will get your attention and inspire you to buy one. Resistance
is futile. You will be assimilated.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272