Old July 25th 04, 04:58 PM
Gman

Default RR: Early morning bliSS

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:18:59 -0700, justen wrote:
Paladin wrote:

snip

brings back some memories, it does: http://tinyurl.com/53cza

paladin

Geez, reports like that could almost give me the crazy notion of
converting my old, rigid, steel stumpjumper commuter into a single speed.

justen

They're great fun Justen. The bike I had back then was an
old Specialized S-Works. Here is the evolution of that:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/SS/

Than last year I decided I liked it enough to buy a Surly:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

However, everything has it's limits.

I decided to ride yesterday between 1430-1600 (95-100
degrees according to NOAA). I had the 32x17 engaged on the
Surly and really wanted to ride the front-side Table Rock
trail (I live near TR).

Long story short...I couldn't do it. I got up a few hundred
yards to where it gets REALLY steep and was just out of gas
and overheated. It would have been tough on a geared bike
too in that heat, but I think I could have made it.

Anyway, so I bombed down and rolled over and did the
less-steep Castle Rock Ridge and then back home.

I still love the Singles for Boise tho...there are very many
trails that are such a hoot on those bikes. Sidewinder and
Hulls are two of the best. Shanes, Corrals, up or down Bobs
(I can actually clear way more stuff on my Single than I can
on the geared bike)...fun stuff...