Old February 17th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 2018-02-17 01:28, wrote:
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 7:32:10 PM UTC+1, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Actually, in some situations ye olde friction shifters are better
than anything that came later. In situations where you must quickly
shift from a very high gear straight to almost the lowest, that can
be achieved in about one second simple by an opposite flick of
thumb and index finger on the downtube levers. Only with friction
shifters. Ok, a Rohloff or a similar hub transmission could also do
that. Can Di2?

Of course.

So give us some numbers here, in seconds. How long does it take to shift
from large-small to small large, in one swoop? Faster than this below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHJ7KoJIys

3-3.5 sec. (11 speed ) under full load and out of the saddle if you want (it will make some noise) and the FD is trimmed after that. You can shift front and rear at the same time.

I can shift a lot faster than that with friction shifters. Not with
indexed ones on the handlebar or drifters.

I don't think so. One may have some reasons to prefer friction shifters but speed of shifting can't be a reason. Strange that Pro riders don't use friction shifters anymore because they like fast shifting.

Maybe you have the Di2-n version with a nuclear drive ...

No just standard Ultegra Di2.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg