Old September 5th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Let the Laughing Begin

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 8:43:40 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/4/2017 4:00 PM, wrote:

[I responded to this earlier, and it shows up in my "Sent" folder, but
never made it to the group. I don't know why. Maybe it had something
to do with my internet speed test showing approximately zero for upload
speed? Thanks, AT&T.]

Now don't say I lacked the courage to publicly correct myself when I think I was wrong. How many of you can say the same thing - John and Frank?

I've done that several times.

Oddly enough, I did it once in error. There was a long flame-fest
including an alias-using individual of renowned obnoxiousness. (He
stopped posting here years ago.) Part of it referred to a bike-related
technical equation in a website run by a pretty well known bike tech guy.

Anyway, after considerable debate, I accepted Mr. Obnoxious's claim that
the equation was in error. I said here that he was right and I (and the
equation) was wrong. Mr. Obnoxious was so surprised he promised to stop
online abuse - a promise he quickly broke.

Then I emailed the website guy, whom I've corresponded with and met a
couple times. He pointed out that no, his equation was correct and
showed why. So Mr. Obnoxious was wrong indeed. (I think the issue was
Mr. O changed the point of contention from force to stress, and it
slipped by me.)

Anyway, I had apologized here, but my apology was in error. Given the
climate of the online discussion, I decided to just let it go.

While repairing the flat I got the other day, it turned out that the second tube had two small holes. I can't tell what caused this. It was like a wire flat but it was across the contact surface of the tire.

So it too two patches to repair. The original tube had a very large pinch flat from hitting that rock on the road for it was a throw-away.

The inner tube in the box wouldn't fit in my seat pack so I opened it and it was a butyl tube as well. Looking at the site where I bought it these were the cheapest inner tubes there.

But I distinctly remember ordering the latex tubes because at the time they were the only tubes with 51 mm stems. These have 51 mm stems even though they're butyl.

So looking through my pile of spares they are all butyl and there are no latex tubes at all. That means that my back tire with the 51 mm stem sticking out of it is no doubt butyl as well.

I can only imagine that they had a mistake on the website that has since been corrected.

This again hardens my suspicion that the pressure changes in my tires before my new pump had to do with the cheap floor pumps inaccurate pressure gauges and the leakage around that "easy operation" connector with the throw handle.