Old March 27th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-27 07:08, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 8:42:44 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 13:57:31 -0700, sms
wrote:

Grant Petersen was right.
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

Well, he kinda often is...

He's right for him. Personally, I think his bikes look like Victorian
reproductions.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/79e9dcf8...3ngpo8_540.jpg

Not that I hate steel, but if I were buying a steel all-in-one bike,
I'd get one with discs because I ride in the rain a lot -- most days
this time of year.

Hard rain or hail like here on Sunday is the worst. It seems to splatter
up whatever gunk in on the surface and then the rim brake pads try to
massage that into the aluminum. It becomes evident when stopping under a
bridge and seeing "fuzz" on the rim end of the spokes but none towards
the hub.

... You have more choices with tires and can even
switch between wheels sizes if that's your thing. Cable discs are
easy to install and maintain although pad life is shorter. Hydraulics
are awesome but you have to do some plumbing and the concept of a
hydraulic system on a bike may be too much for some.

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade and that's scary. Then they
require bleeding which, depending on the kind, is a messy business. On
mine particularly so because there is no bleed kit for them. Cable disc
brakes are fine for pavement riding, just not for heavy duty MTB riding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/