Old March 11th 05, 11:00 PM
Dave Stallard

Bob Terrwilliger wrote:
Hello there.

I am in the market for a new bike. My current bike is almost 20 years
old . I am interested in carbon or ti. and there seems to be a lot of
info on carbon bikes. But I am having a difficult time finding
recommendations of Ti bikes. Itc ould be because of my price range, I
dont know. I want to spend 1500 to 2300 or so. the less the better. I
dont need the best out there, I only ride for pleasure, about 100-200
miles a week, and I do a century or two each year.

Ti bikes are usually expensive. You'll probably have a hard time
getting a frame alone that will fit in that price range, unless you go
with Habanero or Airborne or something. And then there are the
components...

My question is, why do you think you need Ti or carbon? Why not go
with a really nice, lightweight steel bike for thousands less? As
others have said, frame materials matter less than other factors.

You say you don't like your current Al bike, but much of that is
probably fitting issues, as others have commented. Psychologically, you
want a change in frame materials, of course. Plus, you secretly want
the "statusfaction" of having a high-quality bike. Fine. Let that push
you towards high-quality steel. Just start saying things to your self
like "steel is real", "steel is the classic material", etc. Soon you'll
become insufferable.

I testrode a DeRosa Neo Primato (steel) and it was as nice as any Ti
bike I rode, plus very light. And yes, I did end up buying a high-end
Ti/carbon bike, out of all the motivations sketched above (I, like you,
had a mid/low-range Al Trek - the 1220). It's OK - considering what I
spent. But I had to replace it, I might just go with the DeRosa .

Food for thought.

Dave