Old November 11th 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-11 07:21, jbeattie wrote:

         ... I don't think most people need
discs with
giant rotors, but Joerg is a special case.

All one has to do is go down French Creek Road and then
Holly Drive out here on a loaded bike and the li'l
6-incher in back starts to smell. Can't use the front too
much because it's loose gravel. Similar for some of the
long hills in the Sierra east of here. The 8" rotors I
mounted yesterday will allow me to roll down many of the
long downslopes without a cooling-off break or spritzing
water onto the rotors.

A friend had 8" on the front and still lost the front
brake at the last curve on a long hillside. One of those
"Oh s..t!" experiences.

Hmm. So even 8" isn't sufficient. Good to know.

My brakes are about 25" diameter. I'm keeping them! ;-)

Are you saying a significant factor for brake performance is
swept area? Who knew?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/