Old December 20th 06, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom

Default How does one measure wheel diameters?

Alan Holmes wrote:
My son had the wheels stolen off his bike and I'm trying to find
replacements, if I measure the diam of the brake ring will this help?

Alan

It might, measure from the bottom of the brake block to the middle of the
front fork dropout in millimeters. Multiply by 2, and compare to common
wheel sizes (406, 451, 507, 559, 571, 622 or 630)

Warning! It might be that your son's bike is not a common size. The above
are just the commonest. For a full list see

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

But probably the easiest way is to try some of his friends' bike wheels in
his frame and read the size off the tyre.

Hope this helps

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg