Old October 24th 03, 03:06 PM
Carla A-G

Default disc brake rotor size, 6 or 8?

"Colin Song" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to choose
between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a single
crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why? would you
also opt for the 8" rear?

There are people who would say that a 6" will serve the purpose on an XC,
and is "more than enough" braking power, too much braking power will make
you endo, lost control on loose soil, etc...

There are also people who would say that "more is better", better
modulation, better heat transfer, etc.....

What's your thought and comment?

6" is all you need for xc and a single crown fork, anything more than that
is overkill and extra unnecessary weight. I use 6" on all my xc bikes and I
have never had a problem. However, on my DH bike, I run an 8" with a dual
crown fork and a 6" on the rear. I find that running a larger rotor for
DHing does help provide the extra braking power.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!