Old July 12th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Electronic Shifting

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 9:39:13 AM UTC-7, duane wrote:
On 12/07/2019 12:13 p.m., Tom Evans wrote:
On 10/07/2019 21:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

I am sure that electronic shifting will get more reliable. But again -
is there any advantage to it? There can't be more than 20 grams weight
advantage to the electronic stuff.

Long term it will probably be cheaper than mechanical.

It simplifies quite a few things. Simpler shifters, no gear cables, no
need for frame additions to route gear cables. The electronic components
will be dirt cheap.

The people I know that have this like it but I haven't heard anyone say
it's a game changer. Well one guy had a crash that mucked up his
derailleur and he was telling me that it was able to adjust itself
enough for him to get home.

My concern was the battery maintenance, given the battery fail mode but
I haven't heard of anyone with issues. Charges don't seem to be
required very often.

I agree that this will probably become standard at some point. One of
my friends that have this only have it because it came on a bike she
bought. And this was an entry level Tarmac. Not that expensive of a bike.

It is not a game-changer compared to modern mechanical systems, although it makes shifting under a load easier and may provide a benefit for TT riders who can put a shift button at the end of an aero bar.

I have UDi2 on one bike only because I got such a screaming deal on the bike and decided to take the plunge. It has its own set of issues in terms of complexity (wiring and adjustment), although worrying about the battery is not a big issue. There may be benefits to electronic shifting that simply evade me since I'm not big into programming. As with most electronic devices, I'm only aware of a fraction of the features.

-- Jay Beattie.