Old December 6th 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 07:52:30 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

snip

I did a short (15 mile) night ride with a friend last night. Usually I
take my utility bike, set up with Shimano hub dyno and B&M IQ Premium,
but last night I used a different bike with an old Union dyno and a
B&M Eyc. My friend had some lower end battery headlight.

He ended up shutting off his headlight on the bike trail portion of
the ride. He was worried about his battery running out, and the Eyc
beam was perfectly fine for both of us at speeds up to the 20 mph we
hit on the downhills.

When I attempted PBP in 2003, using a B&M halogen light with 3W bulb,
there were a lot of folks with battery lights (usually badly mounted on
handlebars and pointing right in front of the wheel) and lots of folks
with dynamos. Some of the battery folks did the same, there was really
plenty of light in a pack of 40 riders with headlights that if 10 of
them were turned off visibility was still good.