Old March 11th 05, 07:50 PM
Arthur Harris

"Bob Terrwilliger" wrote:

I do feel bad about going to a LBS just to get a proper size bike if I
plan on finding the cheapest place to buy it. ( does that even make
any sense?)

Not really. The main reason you're buying a new bike is to get a good fit.
Frame "size" alone doesn't determine fit. For one thing, a "60 cm" frame
from one manufacturer can be very different than a 60 cm from another. A
good LBS will listen to you, get you on an appropriate bike, and then set
you up with the proper saddle position, handlebar height, and stem
extension. And most importantly, they'll let you test ride a couple of bikes
for comparison. If that costs a few bucks more than a mail order bike, it's
well worth it.

Try out a few bikes of different materials and different price points and
see how much difference you notice. My guess is that an inexpensive bike
that fits great will be just as much fun to ride than as expensive one.

The key is finding that "good" LBS. It isn't always easy. If there are bike
clubs in your area, get some recommendations. Or just drop in to a few shops
and see what the atmosphere is like.

Art Harris