Old October 7th 03, 06:19 PM
JJuggle

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

*One-wheeled wonders; Group to present Unicycle Tour de Leola*

Carole Deck, Correspondent
681 words
Lancaster New Era/Intelligencer Journal/Sunday News
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

It's the first time for young unicyclists to present the Unicycle Tour
de Leola. But members of The C.L.U.B. (The County of Lancaster Unicycle
Balancers) are sure it won't be the last one.

The free event will take place Oct. 19 at Leola Elementary School, 11
School Drive, Leola.

More than 90 unicyclists from four elementary schools, one middle and
one high school are scheduled to take a 3-mile ride around Leola.

Twelve members of The C.L.U.B. from Conestoga Valley Middle School and
high school are participating in the event. Trainers for the midle
school and high school are David Ramos and Sam Gruss.

Other participants include Leola Elementary School -- Paul Hosler,
trainer; John R. Bonfield Elementary School, Lititz -- Jerry McDonald,
trainer; Paradise Elementary and Leacock Elementary -- Melissa Fritts,
trainer; Doe Run Elementary -- Steve Fink, trainer; and Highland
Elementary, Ephrata -- Cindi Hess, trainer.

"Our goal for the event is to have people recognize the growing sport of
unicycling," said Marti Beiler, who helped organize the event sponsored
by The C.L.U.B.

Registration starts at 2 p.m. at Leola Elementary School.

The tour route starts at Leola Elementary and travels through the Maple
Development (Sunset Avenue, Rose Avenue, Maple Avenue, Aspen Drive,
Magnolia Drive, Conestoga Avenue, Blaine Avenue) and ends back at the
school.

Paul Hosler will be grand marshal and will lead the riders. Hosler, a
Leola Elementary gym teacher, was instrumental in introducing unicycling
to students in Conestoga Valley School District.

Beiler emphasized that the tour isn't a race, and riders will ride at
their own pace. C.L.U.B. parents will bicycle along with the unicyclists
to provide assistance if needed.

Their will be a free performance at 5 p.m. in the Leola Elementary
School gym.

Hot dogs, chips, ice cream and beverages will be available from 3 to 5
p.m.

For Zach Wilson, 13, of Leola, riding a unicycle is more challenging
than riding a bicycle.

"You can do some really neat tricks... like side mounts, free mounts and
my favorite riding with one foot," Wilson said.

Most of the C.L.U.B. members began riding in fourth grade.

Marti Beiler's son, Jason, 15, leads the group routines and is a
national gold medallist. His aspiration is to compete in the
International unicycle competition held in Japan this summer.

The unicyclists ride on 20-inch and 24-inch wheels as they perform a
variety of routines to demonstrate their skills. The students think
doing the "Macarena" is more fun done on a unicycle.

Melissa Gates, 13, of Leola, believes balance and confidence are
necessary to succeed in the sport.

"It takes persistence and practice.... You fall a lot while learning,"
Gates said.

"Ride through life... on one wheel" is The C.L.U.B. motto.

Krystle Chocker, 13, of Leola, is credited with the catchy motto that's
featured on their T-shirts.

"I hope lots of people come to our performance. It's entertainment and
sports combined," Chocker said.

For some students, learning to ride a unicycle made a difference in how
they viewed sports.

Christina Tabraham, 14, admitted it was a sport she could do and really
liked.

"I'm not into competitive sports. I unicycle because I enjoy it,"
Tabraham said.

According to Marti Beiler, C.L.U.B. members benefit from their trainers,
Ramos and Gruss. Both are international and national multi- gold
competitors.

Other C.L.U.B. members are Abbey Barton, Ian Anderson, Ryan Masser,
Katie Jones, Jeremiah Martin, Jonathan Martin and Sarah Dommel.

For more information about the unicycle tour, call Marti Beiler at
656-9264. Rain date is Oct. 26.

PHOTOS; Caption: Carole Deck; (1)Members of The County of Lancaster
Unicycle Balancers practice for an upcoming tour and performance.
(2)Conestoga Valley Middle School students Zach Wilson, left, and
Melissa Gates practice some moves on their unicycles. They are members
of The County of Lancaster Unicycle Balancers.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I believe in the Power of Good
I Believe in the State of Love
I Will Fight For the Right to be Right
I Will Kill for the Good of the Fight for the Right to be Right

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24