Old December 4th 07, 10:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

Default A quandry

On Dec 4, 5:48 pm, "Kenny" wrote:
We were mountain bike riding out Springwood ridge on Sunday, ( for those who
don't know it, there is no vehicle access) and we were joined by another
group of mountain bike riders with whom we exchanged pleasantries etc, and
after a short time we heard the sound of a trail bike coming out the trail.
One of the other group became hostile and as soon as the trail bike rider
stopped he stormed up towards the trail bike rider aggressively, pointed
back along the trail and yelled "Your not allowed out here, Get out".
I couldn't hear the trail bike riders reaction from where I was but after a
few crossed words, the trail bike rider turned his bike around and spun the
back wheel to kick crap up onto the mountain bike rider and took off. The
mountain bike rider picked up a rock and threw it at the bike and hit it on
the exhaust pipe.
The mountain bike rider came back to his group, apologised to us and
remarked about his (obvious) hatred for trail bikes after a friend of his
had accident with one. The group then remarked about the trail bike riders
exit and how there was no need for it.
I'm not sure how I feel about the situation.
Yes, do all you can to keep vehicles out when they should not be beyond the
gates.
Abuse the hell out of them? Not sure, No matter how good you are, there is
always someone better.
Let them know you are going take their details and report them, definitely
yes.
Did the trail bike rider do the wrong thing by kicking up rocks?
It probably had the desired effect, the trail bike rider would be very
unlikely to ride out there again.
What do you all think. Who was correct?
Were the greenies who did much the same kind of thing to a friend of mine
doing the right thing when he was riding a mountain bike out Kedumba?

Ken

the mtb rider is a tosser. Not just of rocks.

Yes, the moto rider isn't allowed out there, but we don't have the
right to take the law into our own hands - and why would we? You heard
the bike, he stopped. Why not exchange pleasantries and allow him to
continue? Ask him to ride carefully, if you must. If the mtber was
really bothered about it, it's a simple matter to call the cops -
although plates are often removed/obscured.

The mtb rider could have been charged with something far more serious
than moto riding illegally on a firetrail, had he injured the moto
rider.

Will the moto rider be back? My money says he will, but he'll have a
new found hatred for mtbers as a result of the dickhead, and you can
bet his plate will be removed.

And I guess the final question to the angry mtber... Do you ride
single tracks? Guess what, most of the time you're doing so illegally,
just like the moto rider was. There's very little legal singletrack in
the Blue Mountains. Sections of the Oaks and St Helena, and a few
firetrails that have degenerated to singletrack, and that's about it.

Did the trail bike rider do the wrong thing by chucking up rocks? Yes,
but his reaction is unsurprising.

Did the greenies do the wrong thing? Yes. Even though Kedumba is
illegal for bikes. That said, if you mate was riding like a dickhead,
he deserved to be told. My guess is he probably wasn't.

Share the trails, people, ride responsibly, and get along.

Peace.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com