Old December 5th 07, 11:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

Default A quandry

On Dec 5, 6:33 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:36:48 -0800 (PST)

Donga wrote:
On Dec 4, 5:05 pm, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
Kenny wrote:
The mountain bike rider picked up a rock and
threw it at the bike and hit it on the exhaust pipe.

This is called assault, and is a criminal offence.

Not so. You've deleted the words about the trailbiker spraying the
MTBer with rocks after receiving a few choice words. It is extremely
unlikely the MTBer would be charged, let alone convicted, for

"Well Your Honour, the surface was looser than I was expecting, so as
I was in haste to away from the really angry guy on the bicycle the
tyre slipped a bit in the loose rocks. Next thing I know the cyclist
is deliberately attacking me!"

retaliating (makes me think about the current case of a fellow who
retaliated with a rock after being egged, and left the egger in a coma
- I recall he was not charged?). I'm chuckling too to think of the
trailbiker laying a complaint, having committed criminal assault
himself whilst riding illegally.

The motorcyclist may or may not have deliberately attacked the
cyclist. The cyclist most definitely attacked the motorcyclist, and
it was not self defence as the rider was going away.

They might not charge anyone over it as no one was hurt. If someone
had been, then the other might get charged.

They were fanging at high speed and swerved in front of us as they
passed, spraying rocks and dust - and of course they had hidden their
plates, knowingly breaking the law and evading detection. If I had
caught them I would have "had a word" too. Yes, it's always better to
stand back, get a plate and report to the police, but I think there
are some people being a bit precious here.

"eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". It's about ethics
really.

Some got 'em, some don't.

Zebee

AOL.

Besides, from Ken's account, the moto rider was behaving (despite
riding illegally) until he was abused by the mtber.

A bit of tolerance from the mtber, and all the grief could have been
avoided. In Donga's example, the moto riders weren't behaving
reasonably in the first place. Even so, I'd let them leave, and record
details if I was upset - make and no. of bikes, helmet designs,
jerseys, etc. The cops could probably still catch them with enough
detail. In most places there aren't that many exits a moto can use -
and definitely not on the track Ken mentioned.

Chill out, and peace. Tis the season for goodwill, or something. ;^)

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com