Old March 22nd 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Long Brake Levers

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:41:39 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/22/2018 6:02 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 12:42:05 AM UTC+1, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 07:05:36 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

4 finger is longest I've seen these days, but be careful, mileage varies
and some are closer to 3 than 4.

Now that is weird. Thanks to two engineers and a Dremel Moto-Tool, I
have child-size brake levers on my bike, and I can put six fingers on
the lever. (Not while riding, of course.)

How things can change in only thirty or forty years.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Because brakes/cables and housing got so much better that only two fingers are needed to apply enough pressure on the pads to get you over the bars.

Technology is marching ever onward. Some day, we'll just have to THINK
the word "brake" and we'll go over the bars.

Right. With electrically actuated brakes, you can probably do that.
Just wear a colander instead of a helmet while riding. The colander
picks up signals from various parts of the brain. When it detects the
brain wave pattern for "fear" or "panic", it applies the brakes.
Patent pending.

Won't that be wonderful!

Yep, but you don't need to wait until cycling catches up with modern
technology. ABS (anti-skid brakes) and anti-lock bicycle brakes are
available today.
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/pinarello-blubrake-abs-system-launch-48819/
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/abs-bicycle-brakes-for-e-bikes-first-look-48000/
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/bosch-brings-anti-lock-brakes-to-bicycles/
http://www.sabs-global.com/product.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-U2E6Cw8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipwu-J9LElI
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/213546-italian-company-blubrake-develops-electronic-anti-lock-braking-system
I like the ones with the built in vibrator (mechanical modulator).
There's nothing like a good massage after a hard days ride.

After the safety fanatics have given up pushing mandatory helmet laws,
they can easily switch to ABS brakes as the next required safety
feature.

Full disclosu I've never actually gone over the handlebars. More
often, my flight is interrupted by the stem hitting a very sensitive
part of my anatomy. Yep, I can definitely see myself installing ABS
bicycle brakes.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D