Old January 6th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default ITM Carbon Fiber Fork?

DR wrote anonymously:

That doesn't look safe to me because it has no redundancy for the
1/4" or #10 screws that retain the stem on the steertube and th
bars on the stem. Â*Such joints on quill stems have been known to
break larger screws leaving a rider with a wobbly handlebar while a
single screw failure on the "Forge Ahead", guarantees NO BARS AT
ALL at any speed, and therefore no brakes.

Are you guessing or are you aware of failures resulting in the
problem you describe? Not some vaguely analogous failure, but actual
failures of face plate bolts on a removable faceplate. In use, not
while being tightened by an overzealous technician.

I've ridden no-hands uphill with my Cinelli quill stem loose in the
steertube as well as riding with the bars rotated with the "hooks"
hanging down from a clamp screw failure. Stem bolts break, but on the
ones with one screw failure, release the handlebars completely,
allowing them to fall into the front wheel. Therefore, old safety
standards cannot be applied.

Having used both 4-bolt and 2-bolt face-plates, I prefer the latter.
The 4-bolt plates seem to require a fiddly sequence of bolt
tightening in order to stay secured. Two-bolt on the other hand,
are tight when the bolts feel tight, and stay that way. YMMV.

Think beyond screwt tightening skills and what can occur in a two
screw clamp if one falls out broken. The two screw attachment is gone
as is any retention of the handle bar. Steertube clamping needs two
screws while handlebars, having gimbal-like motion, need four.

It is also not clear that failure of a single bolt on a 2-bolt plate
would result in anything more than wobbly bars (try loosening or
removing a single bolt on a 2 bolt faceplate and see what happens).

It's been done. Actually with three of four screws missing, is how it
was tried, actually on assembly, by default, by noting how free the
bars were until at least one PAIR of screws was in place.

There is no hold on the formerly clamped item (bars or steertube)
especially if the failure was from a peak load.

But whether "wobbly" or just loose, a bar that is free to rotate
offers the undesirable potential for loss of control. To speculate
(based upon a past experience), take a road rider, on the hoods with
some weight on the hands, hitting a bump. Because of the support
point being so far (radially) from the clamp point (rotational
axis), the bars can rotate and the rider can lose grip of the hoods
as they rotate and drop out from under the rider's hands. Oops.
Look Ma, no hands!

Its worse than that: "Look ma, no bars, they're in my front wheel
spokes."
--
Jobst Brandt