Old January 28th 18, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Some lives matter. Some don't

On 1/28/2018 11:28 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 6:30:18 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/27/2018 8:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 4:54:33 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:

Perhaps the solution is some form of limited access bikeway. No
walkers, no dogs, just bicycles all traveling in the same direction at
the same speed. I could even envision one where tunnels existed under
all intersections where larger vehicles crossed the bikeway

The "same speed" part is vexing -- speaking as someone who rides in a city with a high bike mode share and dopey facilities. I hate conga lines.

Well, you would have hated the historic example of John's scheme: a
bicycle monorail system. They actually built it in New Jersey in the 1890s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchk...cycle_Railroad

Supposedly a big reason for the failure was the unpleasantness of being
stuck behind the slowest rider. Given the psychology of modern
motorists, I suppose that frustration was present even if one's top
speed was just 1 mph more than the guy in front.

We have that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKV-UoBptXU

Wait. They have to wear helmets for THAT???

Good God, we're down the rabbit hole.

--
- Frank Krygowski