Old January 14th 04, 08:43 AM
john_childs

Default Fule face helmet - review

onewheeldave wrote:
*I was wondering if you'd got any tips, other than wearing a full face
helmet for avoiding this kind of jaw injury.*

Probably learning to tuck and roll is the best way to avoid that type of
impact injury during a hard UPD (crash). Martial arts training might
give you the reflexes to tuck and roll instead of a belly flop and an
excavation of the trail with the chin or face.

Watching people like Kris Holm crash or bail is a lesson in agility.
His reflexes and agility is one reason he hasn't been hurt doing what he
does.

Me, I'm a belly flopper. I don't have the agile reflexes or the tuck
and roll instinct. I'm an injury waiting to happen. I do need to learn
to tuck and roll and how to properly fall. I've never had any martial
arts training or anything similar and it shows.

It's probably a good idea for the folks wanting to ride very
aggressively to get some martial arts training in the proper way to
fall. And it's probably better to get that training when you're young
and the reflexes are more trainable, rather than when you're older and
the reflexes are more set in their ways.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com