Old July 15th 05, 09:07 PM
41

Default Too much weight on my hands?

Ron Engels wrote:

fit me. This is my second road bike, and it feels a l ot better then the
first. As a matter of fact, everything below the waist feels perfect. It's
just that I think I need to reach too far when riding with my hands on top
of the brake handles.I can ride quite comfortably with my hands on top of
the handle bar, and also with my hands down in the drops (I think that's
what you call 'em) if I move them as far back wards as possible. So I guess
the best option would be to try a shorter stem. The vertical position is
fine I think, I'm not l ooking for a more upright position.

http://www.pilotswatch.nl/images/pinarello/IMG_1607.jpg

You have the bike set up with a huge drop from saddle to bars, the seat
tube angle looks steep (puts saddle far forward), and you have the
saddle moved forward as far as it goes on the rails. The resulting
posture is made for specialized racing, and is not intended to be
comfortable.

Do you race? If not, I can't understand why you would want this bike,
or at least why it would be sized this way. A shorter stem is not the
central problem. For comfort you need to raise the bars, move the seat
back, rotate the nose of the saddle up (possibly use a different
saddle), and rotate the bars up. (I guess you have the nose down
because the saddle is so far forward.) These may improve things
somewhat and if you can get comfortable on this bike without a new fork
(to get a taller steer tube), then I congratulate you. This is not the
set up for a comfortable ride. Even riders in the Tour de France would
generally not have a set up like this.{